Saturday, May 15, 2010

Mothers

"There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. Each mother has different challenges, different skills and abilities, and certainly different children...What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply and, in keeping with the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes them above all else." ~Elder M. Russell Ballard

For years I never celebrated Mother's Day and even dreading thinking about the approach of Mother's Day because I did not have children of my own. I realized several years ago the value of mothering is not determined by whether you have your own. I was a mother in many different situations. And being a women made me divinely created to be a mother.

This year however I really thought that I would feel different or suddenly I would feel like I had arrived and could legitimately celebrate with a baby. I am still the same person with the same struggles and faults. Don't get me wrong, having baby capo has taught me a lot. I feel the love of my Heavenly Father for this little guy unlike anything before. I have more patience. I have learned charity for others through the experiences we are having and am still learning to rely on the spirit. But I was striving for those things before.

So Happy (official) Mother's Day; not only to me but to all those women who are teaching, encouraging, guiding and leading others to Christ and to do the right things. I am so grateful for my own mother and the sacrifices she has made and still makes for me. I have been blessed with great examples of motherhood and womenhood.

No comments: